Thursday, November 17, 2005

I am Scottish

Ok not quite, but apparently (i'm not sure if i've been on this rant before) the Presbytarian church is a Scottish Reform church (Reform is a Dutch Prebytarian church). So Chrisitanesely, I am Scottish.

And this really bugs me. How much of my Identity as a Christian is inadvertantly wrapped up in some far removed European socio-historical context? I am not denying the value and worth that comes with the rituals and symbolism of the liturgical churches but I am cautioning against the lack of an understanding of WHY. I am Chinese. I am Singaporean. I have no connection, whatsoever with Scottland (except perhaps for exboyfriend Seth).

I wonder, how many churches here have room to identify with the underground church in China. And I wonder how many churches in Singapore can identify themselves, at all.

No comments: