Thursday, February 08, 2007

Many thoughts pulsing though my mind today. Wednesdays are the usual hypnotically busy days that start at 9.20. I blink and it's suddenly 3.30 and I'm waiting outside Dr Hellwig's door. My project on my grandmother is trucking along fine and I am quite pleased with the final results, albeit only for ASTU 400Q. I want this to grow, to expand, to encompass many things and many people. But with different characters there will be clashes of memories and morals. I must tread very carefully when dealing with people's stories that aren't mine. At least that has been my environmental prophetic theme of these past months. Of course, everything is arguably mine when sifted through my lense. But I have no more strength to debate post-modernity.

But maybe I will, for old time's sake. Talking to engineers, scientists, pastors... I find myself standing very alone in this island of a structural paradigm. I understand why the engineers I have bible study roll their eyes at the concept, and was pleasently amused when a friend commented long ago: I'm a scientist, of course I adhere to modernity. Not all modernists are so aware of where they stand on the ideological spectrum. Not all modernist are aware of the existance of the ideological specturm. The church, being the last bastion for Absolute Truth, naturally finds comfort in the arms of modernity. Here is when they flourished. Faced with a post modern generation, however, they flounder pathetically to grasp onto the shifting, morally-relative society.

So I was sitting at the Angus today, half an hour before Bible study with my History readings sprawled in front of me. Bonhoeffer's chapter on Simple Obedience stated that we have replaced obedience with questions and doubts. Ah! The curse of postmodernity! We think away our structures of truth to the point where we stand paralysed. But then... modernity, which I almost despise, while staking the claim of the existance of Truth turns away the thinking and feeling.

Oh. It all made sense in the end. While Postmodernity adheres to a commitment of deconstructing our social structures that promise meaning and Modernity adheres to a commitment to these structures, Christianity only adheres a commitment to Christ himself. There now, the lion and the lamb can lie side by side.

On that note, I think Absolut should create a communion vodka/wine and call it Absolut Truth. Now that is Jesus turning water into funk.

And I firmly believe that no text holds weight without knowing the person of the author.

And I'm so tired. I just want to get through the next 2 months alive, and graduate.

No comments: