Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I have a particular understanding of being victim and of being vicitimized. Like too many other Aboriginal people, I have been a victim. I was a victim of child sexual abuse, or a battering relationship, or rape. In the First Nation's women's community, that does not make me exceptional. I can tell you the name of only one Aboriginal woman in this country who I know for sure has not survived incest, child sexual abuse, rape or battering. it is worse than that, because most of us do not survive just one single incident of bause or violence. Our lives are about the experience of violence from birth to death, be it overt physical violence or psychological and emotional violence.
~Patricia Monture :: Standing Against Canadian Law

These be the things that still make me cry.

No comments: