Tuesday, August 18, 2009

We talked a little about being extreme and walking fine lines, about trading one for another, dichotomies and the failure of reality to conform! Maybe it's my fault for trying to relate everything to my life, as if the incidents that wash over me are the sum of all existence, but I just don't quite understand. That's ok right?

I got excited when A talked about the schism between thought and action. Falls in very neatly with the themes of technicality, creation and appropriate expression that I have been dwelling on of late, the transformation of a thought into an action. But is the solution really compromise instead of conviction? Perhaps conviction incorporates balance and compromise as a tool instead of master. Balance, compromise and fine lines speak not to what is good (as definition) but rather they point to how to be good (as means). And while actions speak louder then words., the same action might could say any number of things depending on your choice of tools and how you use these tools.

It's just that some situations have no fine lines for you to walk on and you must land on one side or the other. Maybe one day I'll shake off dust from the fallout fully and I won't be consumed with the fingerprints left behind. But for now here's what I've ended up with: It's not about fine lines so much as it is simply knowing where you stand, and working your way there, with full consideration for all parties involved. Because relationships and people really are the only things that matter. And because they alone matter, they deserve goodness, in all its forms. Part of this journey also means having the flexibility (ie grace) to develop and transform with time, space and experience.

So choose wisely and walk with conviction, because it's all I have, or at least, it shields me from the glare of my failings. I have lost some fortitude, but this doesn't have to be a bad thing.



Alright, you got me... but I still have spark in me yet.

No comments: