Sunday, August 17, 2008

Conflict:

The Sunday Times came and went, and I was silent. Voluntarily of course, although I was itching to be heard. I itch a lot - my primary school teacher says its to compensate for the fact that I'm small. Some things don't change.

I had to decline the offer, but accepted the compliment while peppering my response with honest niceties of my own. I have found an odd conviction in approaching my relationship with home. I am Singaporean in and out, but I have accepted that since 2006, I no longer have a right to speak of such national matters, despite the fact that I've been there.

But speaking of home, I can't quite say that I'm home here because I lack purpose. Vancouver is exciting because I see direction and development. Oh well, I'm only right here right now.

My authority:

Me (at coffee shop toilet): uh... 我没有新加坡钱,你会接受加拿大钱吗? 。。。 对不起我昨晚从加拿大回来,所以没有新加坡钱。

Old Toilet Lady: 你是加拿大人还是新加坡人?

Me: 我是加拿大民人,但是我在新加坡长大。

Old Toilet Lady: 哎呀,新加坡人 lah!

She has vindicated me, and seen beyond passports and papers. As LKY once said,"Kinship and feelings for one another cannot be legislated out by a political decision".

2 comments:

shu said...

oh hannah, i think you're the only one i know who would offer a canadian quarter to a kopitiam aunty to use the bathroom. how desperately did you need to pee?

Hannah Lim said...

very desperate!