Thursday, August 14, 2008

RE: Olympics - Beijing 2008.

I'm Canadian, so I ought to exercise my right to free speech, correct? (this prep-talk is more for me)
Also, anything put up on public domain on the internet is at the writer's risk of reproduction, is it not? (I am actually unsure of this, but what the hey)

Under these assumptions, here I go:

-------

I am of the opinion that the self-congratulating fascists need a little venue to vent their inferiority complex somehow. Now they can waste their time talking about this event among themselves and the people of the civilized world can simply ignore them and move on when the events are over. It’s more devastating to the Chinese people than boycott. They will demand recognition, but sooner or later they will come to the realization that the games are just games and nothing more.

I skipped the opening ceremony intentionally. So did my brother. It gives me a great deal of discomfort watching fascists making their case to the world. But I will follow the games because I am curious as to how lopsided refereeing will be in the games.

~ Homin Lee on The Tiger at Home
(emphasis my own)

----------

Isn't China the leader in counterfeit products, so why should anyone be surprised at their fakery. Just wait till it is discovered that all those medals are just chocolate wafers covered in gold paper.

~MaryT
(Emphasis my own)

They cheated a talented 7 year-old girl out of her deserved place on the international stage because they thought she wasn't cute enough. That's why people are sickened.

China: all face. Just don't look under the hood.

Raphael Alexander
(Emphasis my own)
both on Kerplonka!
---------

Heard loud and clear, as with most of the discourse that has been coming from the West (Just Google 'Chinese Olympics'). I haven't seen much variation, maybe I haven't been looking too far. And this saddens me, not only because I am ethnically Chinese and understand some bits of China's culture, but also because it says a lot of the state of our world today.

I write not to accuse, abuse or hurt. I hope that I come across as sincere, genuine and honest. I am trying to be gracious and humble. I write from a particular point of view, maybe even a unique one, and I recognize that my discourse is not free from my experiences and context, as with everyone else's.

Anyway, moving on from the post-modern disclaimer -

I get angry when I read comments such as these. It is quite similar to when people dismiss Singapore as clean, efficient and nice until "you step out of line or you don't have something to offer and you are gone" [Annonymous on Kerplonka!]. I get upset because I think people are shooting their mouths off without really knowing the facts. And no, a couple of years in Asia does not mean you know everything there is to it. Like me, I've lived in Canada for 10 years -

"How's Canada?"
"Good! Snow's pretty, nature is nice, but society is shallow and superficial, the homeless situation is embarrassing, it's dirty, infrastructure is bad and I feel racially slighted at times. Oh yeah, they play the dumbest game. It's called Hockey. And guess what, Netball doesn't exist!"

Not very nice now is it? And sadly, it isn't too far from what I tell people when they ask (except for the hockey part - that was to make a point).

So, this is all there is to North America. No. Of course not. There is so much more that evades me, that I cannot understand. Then neither is China a 2-dimensional fascist red blob on the map with no character other then we've been told by Google. Neither can it be summed up by the back-packing adventures of a white tourist, perpetually on the outside.

Now don't get me wrong. Of course China has made mistakes, big ones. But which nation hasn't? And this is not to say that we ought to let China off, but rather, we ought to guard our response to the situation, and approach with caution. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone", kinda thing. And it makes good sense, because otherwise, it's just embarrassing and would lack any kind of moral authority whatsoever. (Then, I guess there's just economic and military might left, and we all might as well drop this charade of rights and freedom and fight for survival).

This also isn't to say that the global community cannot intervene, or make a stand for what is 'right' (I'm leaving this one open for now). But it's not just what we do that's important, it's also how. I don't see how offensive remarks (see those reproduced above) add to anything. Worse, if popular sentiment is reflective of global politics, then... China's fucked. It seems to me that all there is really, is that the is West fearful of a rising power. Now this isn't what America was to Europe; this is a rising power with a completely different paradigm and ontology. For anyone who understands, this a Circular culture up against a Linear one.

Anyway, back to the global community, all I'm saying is that China's sins have been commited by all. So they invaded Tibet and took their land. That sounds painfully similar to the First Nations/ Maori / Hawaiian people (not an exhaustive list, btw). So they're mercilessly sucking up resources in Africa with no returns to the people. Europe was there long before, doing the same, and redrawing lines to boot. So China can't get it's human rights act together (Human rights is essentially an idea based on individualism, China has a communal/familial social structure, of course it's struggling - but that's another can of worms), well give her time. It took the colonial powers quite some time to recognize their subjects as equals, instead of tossing them into residential schools.

So what should we do? Fight for we believe in, while remembering who we are, and where we came from. And besides, you can't possibly say you're a champion of human rights if you're going to degrade 5000 years of a solidified culture - a culture that is shared by over 1.3 billion humans (a right to culture is an included right I believe).

Lead by example - free the people whom you oppress. Most oppression is oblivious or kept at arms length. I am tickled by the activists hopping around North America screaming "Free Tibet". Do you actually think China will listen to you? You don't even speak Chinese! (But of course, English, universal language no?) But what about back home. In Canada, we have people who have had their land taken from them, by a government who would actually listen to us (in 2 official languages!). Wouldn't we be more effective in this case?

We need to be honest with ourselves and figure out what is really going on, with China and with us. Within us. What do we want and what are we saying that we want. Nothing seems to be sacred anymore, and lying about it would only make things worse.

I personally think its fear. With the Cold War, Western countries successfully indoctrinated their populations with the notion that there were only two ways to go about it: democracy or doom. China and Singapore emerged, confused but strong, seeming to belong to the "doom camp" but somehow not quite conforming to the expected models of economic failure. Like ghosts and the unknown, they're pretty scary. But they have a lot to offer. Alternative structures and concepts, and ones that actually work. (When Singapore hit the ground running, it didn't have time for ideological trial and error, it had to work - and it did, but it didn't follow the rules). It is quite ironic, the one thing that shook my budding faith in Liberal Democracy was seeing it first hand in Canada. And I fully agree that Canada does it well, I'm just not convinced that it's the best system at all, for all. And the attitude towards this years Olympics isn't helping.

I just have to say this. The spectacle on August 8th came across as unimpressive (or fascist) to more then a few viewers. I am not surprised. I watched from a hotel room in Frankfurt, wishing I understood German, impressed. Very impressed - because I understand Chinese culture. "But the rest of the world wouldn't appreciate it" Mother says and we all agree. It's like my grandfather wrinkling his nose at the best pasta placed before him. White food is terrible. Period. So take it from one who understands (and this goes beyond language) - it was a spectacular display.

Finally, to make my point clear (or as clear as possible): This isn't about China. It's about the West. We've done, and are doing, evil things too. And lets not forget that before we go about calling the coal kettle black.

------------------

"I just wish that China wouldn't try so hard. She is her own unique person. Why does she have to try so hard? She should just be who she is not try to be like the west."
"....Does she have a choice?"
~ Conversation between Glen and Myself, somewhere in India

a faithful reader suggests that I address myself in this post. But I won't, because I was not brought up to be a self-centered individualist - how's that, Seth?

13 comments:

Jarrett said...

I'm going to try for some middle ground. There are plenty of reasons to hate China, but the fact they replaced, for the opening ceremony, a crooked-toothed girl with one who wasn't crooked-toothed isn't among them.

That said, before you go all morally-equivalent on our asses, tell me when at any of Lillehammer, Atlanta, Nagano, Sydney, Salt Lake City, Athens, or Turin, did the local authorities (for instance) ban access to certain media sites on the internet or arrest foreign reporters who covered things other than what the country's rulers wanted?

Some of us - not necessarily the people you quoted, but some of us - are comparing apples with apples.

Hannah Lim said...

This post wasn't about China. It's about the West - China's not perfect, but people act all indignant like they have the right. I never said that there was nothing wrong with China. Sure there are plenty of reasons to hate China. But there are plenty of reasons to hate the West too.

Wrt to Media, sure there was nothing for the other Olympic cities to hide and the press were free to do what they what. For a variety of reasons, resources, history, political alliances etc. Does China look like it's anywhere on a level playing field on this? If Vancouver weren't as well mobilized (and allied with the west with its bigger Siamese twin down south), I'd say we might have some issues with 2010.

If I might be so bold as to suggest, the First Nations issue won't be a problem, because if western media were to raise that issue, they'd have to deal with their demons at home (Australia, US etc). And those who do raise the issue (the not-so-pro-west like say, Malaysia), simply don't matter. So see? The issue of media has happily been dealt with by self-interest and politics - quietly.

China is not so lucky, her success runs against the self-interest of the already-in-power west. So nothing came as a surprise. I'm not saying that I condone it or that I was happy about it (must be swell getting your fingers stomped on). I'm just saying that there are reasons for this. And these reasons don't stop at the Chinese borders.

And if this has to be about Miao Ke and Pei Yi, of course it was terrible. My parents and I were extremely upset. But as my cousin and I were discussing over steamed fish and fried prawns, it probably isn't that big of a deal to the girls. They don't see it the way a 7-year-old in the west would. It's a completely different approach - it wasn't her 'right' to be seen on the stage, it was an honour for her voice to be used for her nation. If not for the media's response, I personally, wouldn't have thought it to be such a big deal. I mean a pity and perhaps, kinda cruel, but that's life. t

And that's just it. We're trying to compare apples with apples. But really, China's not an apple, She's a mandarin orange. And we're expecting her to live up to our standards, forgetting that within our own civilization we took a damn long time to get here. how can we expect the same from someone from a completely different civilization?

And the process of comparison does much harm. It's like asking a 7 language and history whiz why he can't excel in Micro-biology like his 20 year old cousin in University. Of course, he's just terrible and wrong.

*catches breath*

Ben (The Tiger in Exile) said...

Homin's from South Korea. (Born and raised there, and is living there now.)

***

This post sounds like the North American (or the Western European) left during the latter half of the Cold War.

Me, I'll stand up for Western hypocrisy. Hypocrisy beats false moral equivalency any day of the week.

Hannah Lim said...

I don't see what Homin's background has to do with this. 'West' is a rather dynamic term. Singapore's "west" every now and then. Well, we were a British colony, then we were decolonized and grew balls and brains. But we're small, so we really need America as our best friend (it's not a cuddly world out there) - someone once said "when America sneezes, Singapore catches the flu". So really, West is a paradigm. Sorry if I was being too loose with my terms.

I've never had much exposure to North American leftist discourse during the second half of the cold war, but I'll take your word for it.

If possible though, I'd like to divorce myself from the political spectrum (I am not lost to the irony in this statement, but I try). It's about politics, and it isn't. If we're all genuinely yearning for peace, freedom and justice, then it has to go beyond politics. Also, I'm a Christian.

And thank you for being honest about your support for western hypocrisy (an honest hypocrite?). It was a relief actually, at least I'm not totally misunderstood.

I'm not sure what to do with the False Moral Equivaency thing. Not something I conjured I hope, at least I didn't mean to, and I'm not sure how it's false. You're going to need to back that up a little to convince me.

I mean really, saying that the west has never invaded and colonized others, and that they've never committed human rights abuses, and neither do they actively spread propaganda is like saying that the Holocaust never happened. Stupid and wrong. So I mean aren't we all the same scum of the earth here? China's just trapped in the wrong era.

So, if we're going to do something right, we should also do it in the right way. And if we're going to condemn a nation for breaking the rules we've made for it, we should make sure that we've stopped breaking them ourselves.

All in all, it would be nice if the west would earn itself some moral authority and respectability for itself before telling others what to do. Kinda like, me saying "Ben, I don't think Suzie is the right girl for you...". You'd be crazy to take me seriously. I have no right to speak into your life, and whatever I say will hold no weight. it is also highly plausible that I would want Suzie for myself.

But I'm sure you get the drift.

shu said...

to be very honest, i think if i was born american or north american, i would be very scared of china too. China's GDP growth, industrial capacity, robust domestic market and sourcing of oil signals China's strength as a major trading partner and competitor. It is a nation and economy that is big enough to cause ripples in the world market. we're used to the US being the single player that signals a global upturn or downturn. to top it off, the greenback is supported by Chinese (and Russians) who buy up lots of Treasury bills. So, if i'm american, i would have reason to fear china, and i think that fact alone motivates some of the comments we see.

my point of view is that china is not "trying so hard" to emulate anyone. in fact, looking at its record, china has pretty much gone her own way most of the time. when the soviet nations and china began to dismantle their collectivist regimes and move towards a more capitalistic society. the Soviet nations followed the west's advice (correct me if i'm wrong) and rapidly tried to implement a "big-bang" economic reform.

well, that didn't go so well for them. China, on the other hand, went against the mainstream thought and conducted piecemeal reforms, changing only parts of their economy and policy when it felt it was ready to do so. China continues to implement this sort of "dual-track" and piecemeal economic and policy reform today.

no matter how much pressure other nations exert on China to change its currency, intellectual property laws and human rights record, China only concedes when it feels that these laws/changes are beneficial to its regime and economy. my view is that as China switches its manufacturing base to high-end goods that require strong IP laws to facilitate local R&D, it will make a great effort to uphold IP laws and go beyond the random raid of a pirated DVD shop that is reported in the news to placate the West

the human rights record is alot trickier. I think on a long horizon, China would soften its stance as it will have to cope with generations of students who have been educated overseas and who will find the information in chinese textbooks very conflicting. i'm guessing that the human rights record will change when the pressure comes from home, not from any nagging outside observer or institution.

China's not born in the wrong era. She's playing her part of the game and truthfully doing quite a bit to scare her counterparts.

Ben (The Tiger in Exile) said...

I live in a free country (depending on the whims of the local human rights commission, of course). I'm also a citizen of a second free(r) country.

I reserve the right to critique other countries' human rights records, and I don't see colonization as an all-purpose card to be dealt against Western moral authority -- not from Moscow, not from Beijing, and not from our own university towns.

As a matter of fact, many of the colonial governments under the Brits were a hell of a lot more liberal than were the native regimes they replaced. (And in all too many parts of the world, the British colonial governments were more liberal than the home rule governments that replaced them.)

Reality stings sometimes.

Western intellectuals have a hard time coming to grips with the fact that they live in more liberal and, yes, better societies than most of the rest of the world -- a state of affairs made clear by seeing the flow of immigration in the world (people vote with their feet).

We aren't perfect, but we're a hell of a lot better than the rest.

Seth said...

where's china?

Hannah Lim said...

Good for you Ben.

You do have a right to critique I guess, but other countries also have a right to roll their eyes at and ignore you. Their land, their rules. Fair world right.

Colonization is not an all purpose card of course. It's not a card. It's part of the picture and it's also part of the reality that stings for so many people today. Not every part, but a pretty darn big one, depending on which side of the experience you're on.


But I won't comment on colonization and it's issues any further. It would be like you trying to explain the pain of being kicked in the balls to me, who is ball-less.
Sure liberty is good, it's nice in speeches. But it's not the be all and end all. If it were, I'd stay.
, and my family would have stayed too 20 year ago.

But they've long packed and left, and I am trying my darn bestest to leave Canada for Singapore. And I am not the only one.

So, all I'm saying is that "better" is subjective. There are other people with valid experiences that would lead to different conclusions. I'm just expressing mine, since we all know what everyone else is saying.

SHUSHU!!! Yes ok. I was just using my school yard politics onto China. I just felt like she finally got the chance to play with the big kids (olympics) and they kept picking on her for things that they'd been doing all along... you know the drift.

Oh and Seth, China's up your ass turn left. Go find her! It's funny when I think that you helped me write this, given your demographic constitution. Thanks to Minnesota!

Anonymous said...

I was reading your blog and all the comments on it, being naïve and all, I was practically nodding my head in agreement with you, Hannah, before I stumbled accross this “they don't see it the way a 7-year-old in the west would. It's a completely different approach - it wasn't her 'right' to be seen on the stage, it was an honour for her voice to be used for her nation. If not for the media's response, I personally, wouldn't have thought it to be such a big deal. I mean a pity and perhaps, kinda cruel, but that's life”

“kinda cruel, but that’s life?” how could you possibly say that so effortlessly!! After years of reading your previous blogs, I thought you were a lot more open and understanding of humanity, society and cared of people’s hearts and feelings, but I guess I can start believing otherwise of you.

The fact that China chose a “cuter” girl who cannot sing in lieu of the original singer at the opening of the Olympics (and in all honesty, I don’t think she’s that much cuter than the original singer) just shows how shallow China is. Is this our main message to these two girls? To the girls in China? The girls around the world? The people around the world? People battling with low self-esteem and body issues? That people who don’t look “as cute” won’t get the honor of doing something great just because they don’t have the “perfect look?”

As for those two girls, I beg to differ that they have the same thoughts that you have mentioned earlier, seriously, no matter what they say literally, inside their minds they would always have the wrong mindset that one who has the looks will always be chosen over the other. Abilities, skills and talent doesn’t matter, as long as you look presentable you will always get a job.

You think that this won’t affect the rest of the China’s views on self-image? Not to mention, the young girls? And have you forgotten already that Olympics is an international event? What would the message of this incident say to the young boys and girls think around the globe? I know you’re better than this, go figure

That’s all I want to say.

Anonymous

Anonymous said...

by the way, i'm sorry that my last post sounded kind of strong in the beginning, but i have to admit that i was kind of disappointed seeing something like that from you.

anyways, i just wanted to appologize for that, and also wanted to let you know that i am Chinese. (so you won't think I'm a white person attacking you or anything)

i have respect for you, (I meant it! really :) ) and im happy that you dare speak your mind. That's what's great about you.

Hannah Lim said...

Hi Anon,

Thanks for being honest. Sorry I came across that way, but I think I need to fine tune what I said a little.

I agree that it was horrid, and there's no one that matters most in this situation more then Pei Yi and Miao Ke. (I mean the western media can go ---, and China will carry on, a little shaken, but not as shaken as these girls would be). I did get carried away with the politics of it all and that was my mistake.

I know I shouldn't speak for the entire Chinese population, (i barely speak the language as it is) but I think I have a point when I say that there are differences in the approach toward a situation like this.

It must have been crushing for Pei Yi to be told that she was not cute enough, and for Miao Ke to be told that her voice is unsuitable. But instead of approaching it as "they are taking MY right to shine" or whatever, (note that in this case, the assumption of the right is there from the start), it is possible that the girls saw it less of personal insult then an unfortunate setback (in this case, the right to participate is granted). I'm sure I'm laboured this point a million times but western discourse is essentially a rights-based on while confucian discourse is a responsibility-based one, so no one has rights as individuals (straight off the bat), but they each have an important role to fulfill and from there they earn their rights. I'm not saying that this is what it was, but it is a possibility.

My reaction, was exactly what it was: "kinda cruel, but that's life". Because, well, that IS life. Life is terribly unfair and cruel - look at any kid born in Africa, and compare him with the whiney teen-ager in Australia who has an iPod shuffle instead of an iPhone - it's cruel but that's life. Western society and it's values of equality etc were created to combat the harsh reality of the world. It is a beautiful vision and one that I hope we all work towards. The problem is that now we assume that life is fair, and that it is our right to have a fair life. But that's not the case - society cannot win every battle against inequality. When I said that, it didn't mean that I supported it or advocated for its continuation. It was a realistic acknowledge of the situation - I think that's always needed before we chart any action toward what's right.

So it didn't have anything to do with disregarding their feelings. I cam empathize with them while recognizing that this is reality.

Also, re: "inside their minds they would always have the wrong mindset that one who has the looks will always be chosen over the other. Abilities, skills and talent doesn’t matter, as long as you look presentable you will always get a job."

I agree that it is be a terrible blow to their self-esteem and is a terrible message that was sent esp at their age. However, I doubt that it is necessarily the "wrong" (ie, incorrect or misinformed) message. If anything, it is a painful reflection of the state of the world: Yes, image does matter. I was told by someone in my law school, that there is a particular firm (a big one in fact) that hires only white males as lawyers (I'm not sure if this is an urban myth, but it's not impossible). Now it might have something to do with background more then it has to do with image per se. But I mean, seriously now, I walk in for an interview and I doubt they'd really listen to anything I have to say after seeing me.

I mean, really, if image didn't matter the beauty industry wouldn't still be around today. We can SAY that everyone's a unique beautiful snowflake blah blah and your selfworth is not dependent on how you look but who you are (I believe that only because I am a Christian), but our actions hardly follow suit.

But this does not have to be a message of doom - yes this is the way the world is, but we are agents of change and we, as a society, are still developing. Once again it is pointed out where we are going wrong and we can work to change it. I think that this is way better then denouncing the act as something outside of the norm. We can denounce it as something that we don't want, while recognizing it as part of human nature.

So yes, terrible message because it is a terrible truth. But it's something that cannot be ignored for long, it'll resurface one way or another (like that American Idol show when Simon Cowell who told one amazing singer that he would not win because he was ugly, simple truth in the entertainment industry - America voted him in.)

We can do this, but lets be realistic about where we are.

And at any rate, if the girls were really unhappy about it, they could have disagreed to the arrangement.

Finally, again, this post wasn't about China, it's about the West. China is doing terrible things, but so are we. So China says that the prettier girl will get the stage and we'll make use of the losers to get the upper hand. We've done that too and I don't think we've stopped. So when we voice our disapproval, I think we also need to look at what role we've played to invoke this.

China has had a difficult history, and now she has a chance to show herself as a great player on the world stage to an audience that is only looking out for her weaknesses to condemn her. She knows that. If I were her, I'd be nervous as hell and would also want to present an image of perfection, for the good of the nation. Remember that the Olympics is happening within a particular political and historical context. I'm not saying it's ok. I'm saying there are reasons. So instead of getting all riled up about it, we could look to the reasons for the solutions. Better use of energy, I say.

Anyway, In light of the responses I've been getting, I think I've tweaked my views a little. I'll put them together when I have a little more time. :)

Anonymous said...

hey hannah! been awhile since i've dared encroach on ur mental battleground (or for you, maybe field of lilies that's very skippable).

you have been quite busy on here recently hey?

well contrary to my nature, i actually agree very much with your post and comments, as crazy at it sounds. i quite enjoy the realpolitik feel of your thoughts (i love the smell of power politics in the morning). it actually jump-started my mind again.

I'm not used to agreeing with you nor shu. but Shu's comment, while a bit academic for my tastes raised a very potent point, one which would be, i think, a necessary addition to your rant: China makes its own way. I know you say that this is just about the amorphous "west", but I think it's fine, the west can attack China all it wants, and it should. China is a threat to western hegemony, and a great way to delegitimize it is to bang on it for its human rights flaws, for it's unwesternness (we still live in a world permeated with such wonderful notions as democracy, freedom, yadayada).

Power politics baby, that's how the world rolls. Sure, the west is hypocritical, but that's just a given. Everyone is. who can spin it the best, and use it to their advantage, that's what counts. SPinspinspin.

All that nonsense being said, the Olympics was China's coming out party, and they came out with a fucking bang. The choreography was spectacular, Zhang Yi Mou (sp?) the perfect choice (thank god spielberg declined, else we'd have ET flying across the stage instead of some girl on a kite). And with regards to the girls?... (ok, i just had a compulsion to be myself and say that they should be kept in the sweatshops, but i'll refrain)

Wrt to the girls, yeah, sucks for the girls, but it ain't about them. for China (and i don't see this being any different in the west, look at fucking Ashlee Simpson! just not for too long else ur braincells might suffer), it's about the collective, it's about the overall performance at the end of the night. It's not the triumph of the individual over adversity, it's the contribution of the best of each abled body to the harmony of the collective. that don't sound so bad does it?

the girls, they'll get over it (if there's anything to get over). I think they both just had a blast being part of it (7 yr old girls are like guppies anyway). My prob with the whole thing, is basically that China tried to cover it up, not so much the mental states of the girls. It would have been great of both girls were recognized. It would have done wonders for the PR as well.

I guess the counterpoint to my selfless rant, would be that I'm not taking into account the fact that these girls were discriminated by their looks. well, my fingers are getting tired, so maybe another time (probably not). but I'll just say this: duuhh. does it not happen anywhere else in the world? i don't get what all the fuss is about. it sucks, but what can ya do? it ain't no right to be part of the ceremonies. I'm sure when the olympics come here for the winter i ain't gonna be fighting for my right to dress up as a lifesized beaver running from a mountie to the background vocal stylings of avril lavigne for canada's opening ceremony.

i've said enough to insult a few ppl, and hopefully i've said something sexist. I don't recall. peace and good wishes to all.

Looking forward to continued participation in more of ur posts h. I'm back.

Hannah Lim said...

hahah! spoken like you would mel! See you in sept!