Thursday, August 06, 2009

Delight

Under the noonday heat tinted green by the foliage that shrouds the porch, I am working on proposals and reports. A knocking above catches my attention and I smile a little, already knowing the sight I would behold when I raise my eyes. The translucent roof is clamouring with a little bird feast and I watch for the little scratchy feet that hop around - the only part of the bird I can see. She (or he?) is hard at work, violently abusing a nut or a snail for lunch. The perfect black lines that join and her ankle in the shape of a rake tells me where she is, and I can see her victim bouncing around, subject to her hungry beak.

I thought about running upstairs to rescue the poor snail. I thought about how scary it must be to feel so trapped, to have no where to run to except into your shell - a poor fortress. But then either laziness or a sense of subjugation to nature took over and I watched her cute feet (claws) patter around the roof before she took off, satisfied.

I enjoyed watching her eat. But I guess in every gift comes a cost. Be wise in the balancing act.

1 comment:

Hannah Lim said...

Theory"

What do I care about
walking erect,

the fingers freed
to clutch large sticks, the hand
to hide behind the back --

bared teeth
slowly learning to form
an expression of welcome and pleasure...

Man was born
when an animal wept.

---Franz Wright (1993)