Saturday, August 08, 2009

Dogville

You need to justify your actions before you shoot us? That's new. That could be interpreted as weakness, Daddy. [pause] I'm disappointed in you.

I'm not gonna shoot anybody

You shot at me before

Yes. I'm sorry, I regret that. You ran away. But shooting at you certainly didn't help matters. Of course not. You're, far, far too stubborn

If you don't want to kill me, then why did you come?

Our last conversation, the one in which you told me what it was you didn't like about me never really concluded as you ran away. I should be allowed to tell you what I don't like about you. That, I believe, would be a rule of polite conversation, you know.

That's why you showed up? And you call me stubborn. [Pause] You're sure you're not here to force me to go back and become like you?

If I thought there was a chance of forcing you... but of course that will never happen. You are more, more than welcome to return home and become my daughter again... anytime... and I would even begin to share my power and responsibility with you if you did. Not that you care...

So what is it? What is it, the thing... the thing that you don't like about me?

It was a word you used that provoked me. You called me "arrogant". To plunder as it were a God given right.

I'd call that arrogant, daddy.

But that is exactly what I don't like about you! lt is you that is arrogant!

That's what you came here say?

I'm not the one passing judgment, Daddy, you are.

No, you do not pass judgment because you sympathize with them: A deprived childhood and a homicide really isn't necessarily a homicide, right? The only thing you can blame is circumstances. Rapists and murderers may be the victims according to you, but I call them dogs and if they're lapping up their own vomit the only way to stop them is with the lash.

But dogs only obey their own nature So why shouldn't we forgive them?

Dogs can be taught many useful things but not if we forgive them every time they obey their own nature.

So, I'm arrogant. I'm arrogant because I forgive people.

My God! Can't you see how condescending you are when you say that? You have this preconceived notion that nobody... listen... that nobody can't possibly attain the same high ethical standards as you so you exonerate them. I can not think of anything more arrogant than that. You, my child... my dear child you forgive others with excuses that you would never in the world permit for yourself.

Why shouldn't l be merciful? Why?

No, no, no. You should. You should be merciful. When there is time to be merciful. But you must maintain your own standard You owe them that. You owe them that! The penalty you deserve for your transgressions, they deserve for their transgressions.

They are human beings

No, no, no. Does every human being need to be accountable for their actions? Of course they do! But you don't even give them that chance. And that is extremely arrogant... I love you, I love you I love you to death. But you are the most arrogant person l have ever met... And you call me arrogant! l have no more to say

You are arrogant, I'm arrogant. You've said it, now you can leave

And without my daughter, I suppose?

Uhm...

I said without my daughter?

Hmm, yes!

Well...

Yes.

Well, you decide, you decide... Grace, they say you are having some trouble here.

No. No more trouble than back home.

I'll give you a little time to think about this. Perhaps you will change your mind.

I won't.

Listen, my love... power is not so bad... l am sure that you can find a way to make use of it in your own fashion... Take a walk and think about it.

The people who live here are doing their best under very hard circumstances.

If you say so, Grace. But is their best really good enough? Do they love you?

-----------------------
I always thought that it was my best that wasn't good enough, but I realise, it's the other way around and time shouldn't be wasted. But still, thank god I have neither such power nor responsibility.

-----------------------

[No. What they had done was not good enough, and if one had the power to put it to rights, it was one's duty to do so. For the sake of the other towns. For the sake of humanity. And not least for the sake of the human being that was Grace herself....]

If I went back and became your daughter again, when would l be given the power you're talking about?

Now?

At once

Why not?

So that would mean that, I'd also take on the immediate responsibilities at once. I'd be a part in the problem solving... Like the problem... of Dogville.

We can start by shooting a dog and nailing it to a wall over there beneath that lamp, for example. Well, it might help. It sometimes does

It would only make the town more frightened, but hardly make it a better place. And it could happen again. Somebody happening by revealing...their frailty. That's what I wanna use the power for, if you don't mind. I wanna make this world a little better.... If there is any town this world would be better without, this is it.

Yes?

Shoot them and burn down the town.

You want the curtains opened? You don't need them anymore. What do you think?

I think we should open them. I think it's appropriate.

No comments: