Friday, September 12, 2003

Deep breath

Thursday morning 09:40
Leave dorm, complain about broken shower handle to front desk, grab a cookie, head to the Arts One building.

Thursday morning 09:50
Enter Arts one lounge, settle next to Claudia, attack cookie, muse.

Thursday morning 10:00
Enter orange room. Arts one. Settle next to Eric, chat about the cultral differences between the Canadian and Singaporean education system.

Thursday morning 11:30
Leave Arts one buliding. A little changed.

in academics, it is cold and calculating. it takes God's love and grace to restore the true meaning of academia.
~Dawn Fung.

Why else do we learn. What is the point of studying and deliberating if not for some higher knowlegde of who we are and why we are.

I entered Arts one with a lust for knowledge, intellectual debate and challenge.
I want to discover how we work, how we think, how to live.
I want to understand humanity in all it's glory and pain.
I've done it all before, and I have never left the premises of God's wisdom in that.
The more time I spend on my knees, in the pews, with my pastor,
The greater my understanding, the lesser my prejudices, the greater my wonderment at how beautiful humanity is and how everything falls into place.

i love books and i love research. but i love GOd more and i cannot allow satan to take away our authority to speak truth in our environments.
~Dawn Fung.

Of course truth is all relative, it comes with individual perspective.
Why I loved the Greeks: They demanded that I change my perspective of the world in order to understand them.
Now, I am requested to change my perspective of Gensis and John.
Taking them our of the chrisitan context.
I wonder what's the point of that sometimes, were they not written originally for that purpose? Then again, we can't assume that can we?

We don't know anything about who wrote what, about who it was written for and why it was written (is that even important?).

Sounds like dadaism to me.

"I fear that if I let go of my christian perspective, I will lose sight of the truth, similarly, i fear that if I hold true to my perspectives I will not learn as much as I can and will leave stunted."

Already God has done wonderful things. My attempt to drop my chrisitan perspective has lead to an even stronger reinforcement of who God is. The revelations made personal is sometimes staggering.

But nothing comes easy. For now, the balance is still not quite there yet.

Better is one day in your courts then a thousand else where.

Unbelievable.

No comments: