Sunday, October 16, 2005

"I wish I were Asian..."
~ Tony. After watching Hero.

So I have embarked on a little self-imposed immersion programme. I will watch Chinese movies, talk to chinese people and even take notes in Chinese.

After tonight's viewing, I realise how far away from reconcilation I am with the language and culture. Perhaps the fact that I am so enchanted by this romanticized imitation of "The Chinese" is telling of my breach with the Chinese Reality. Of anything real, that's chinese. Of anything Chinese, that's real.

"Yeah... I wish I were Asian too"
~ Me

Ten thousand years of Chinese history just died at me.

"Hannah... I think you're Asian"
~ Tony, an offer of encouragement.

Well, if God's in the process of restoration, I think I can emulate that.
Or at least die trying.
The Chinese way.

No comments: