Monday, October 03, 2005

Run for the cure

Or stroll, hobble, shuffle, bleed and drink.

So today I drag my sorry little body out of bed at 7.15 am to meet Graydon at the busstop, along with 22 of his hung-over friends, to do a charity race.

"You'd probably know the streets of Richmond better hey?"
~ Jabez

To cut a long story short, I enjoyed being on the periphery of a very different world once again. It was kinda like being in 5555 Toronto road last year, when all the boys were over, drunk and high. I recognise difference and have found my very comfortable spot in the spectrum of diversity. I have found tools to combat my fears towards 'the other', thanks to Robbay, Cathy, The Navs, Graydon and many other wonderful people in my life.

And I was thinking about it once I hopped off the number 4, how my mode of interaction with difference has evolved. I think that the only way to deal with the clash of civilizations is awareness. Awareness of who you are, awareness of who the other is and awareness of the choices that we make in reference to all this.

Difference is never a problem. It's a beautiful state of being.

So today despite the social awkwardness on my part for being absolutely unable to identify with these people, much less talk to them, I had a smashing time. I am amazed by their acheivement and contribution towards this cause and have been challenged to be more proactive about my life.

"You're Passive"
~ Culver

I think life has much less to do with being socially acceptable as it is with recognizing the truth about your identity. Making active decisions to act, to live and to be. We have so much more control over our existance then society wants us to believe and part of that entails decisions over how we are to exist together.

I think I'm seeing how I can stand frim in the full knowledge of who I am while reaching over the gulf of difference and connecting with people.

Love becomes sharper and deeper when it is grounded in reality and truth.

"No, I'm a nerd, and you're a dork with a drinking problem... and lots of cool friends."
~ Me to my buddy.

Oh whatever.
Life is too awesome.

No comments: