Thursday, September 14, 2006

I roll the window down, and then begin to breathe in the darkest country road and the strong scent of evergreen from the passenger seat as you are driving me home. Then looking upwards I strain my eyes and try to tell the difference between shooting stars and satellites from the passenger seat as you are driving me home. "Do they collide?" I ask and you smile. With my feet on the dash the world doesn't matter. When you feel embarrassed then i'll be your pride, when you need directions then i'll be the guide for all time.

For all time.
[Passenger seat ~ Death Cab for cutie]


I love car rides, in the backseat, where you cease to exist, lost within yourself.
And in the passenger seat up front, where you share a journey.

I think we've forgotten how essential journeys are to life. In our midst to get somewhere, quicker, faster and better, we fail to consider the moments shared behind the dashboard. Here is where I talk to my mother, and pour out my heart and mind. There is where I share comfortable silences with Belmont, after a hectic day with Boey. And then was when I laughed with Tom, on our way to the Taiwan beef noodle place at 70th and Granville, or to coffee at Kerrisdale, or just to Pho on 10th. And also on cookie runs with Curtis, under the northern stars filtering though the leaves in Pacific Spirit park. And sometimes with Andre, burning rubber in the back streets of vancouver. And finally, with Mel, from burnaby and back, talking about life and life, and from Safeway to 4822 when he let me drive.

I think we forget that life isn't just being there, it's getting there. And while you're at it, love and be as much as possible. It makes 'there' an easier place to exist in when you've got good company. In fact, I think the point of getting 'there' is to enjoy the company of those who have travelled with you.

Please, make car rides longer, let's take buses, ferries, planes. Let's just keep going. And even though we're always moving, let's remember to keep home.

I need you so much closer, so come on.
[Transatlanticism ~ Death Cab for Cutie]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like the thoughts... and agree wholeheartedly (even as i'm rushing from one place to another). good song too.