Wednesday, November 08, 2006

It's ok to lie.
~ My father on biblical principles.

It basically boils down to the question of honoring God. Which do you worship, the precepts or the person? Think Rahab, think Samson, think King David... I will not bother to elucidate. If you don't agree, then don't. Don't let this stumble you.

And then today, I walked past the FUNKY CHRISTIAN T-SHIRT store in Junction 8. I stopped and stared at the obscene ads for their FUNKY CHRISTIAN T-SHIRT discount cards and FUNKY CHRISTIAN T-SHIRT original-product garuntee. Can I help you? Of course it would come from the sweet young thing behind the counter, itself clad in a FUNKY CHRISTIAN T-SHIRT. I then proceeded to give her a piece of my mind.

I came back later with the boyfriend, and pointed out the 'SOCIAL HAZARD - I WILL NOT CONFORM' black hoodie that was proudly displayed, a true marker of funkiness. Of course, it conformed entirely with the social lingua franca of American Coolness. And with it, the hope to encase an eager drug and alcohol-free celibate christian body who's conciousness is entirely immersed in the world's notions of consumerism, capitalism and social cannibalism.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading between the lines...

Consumerism: "...sweet...drugs and alcohol..."

Capitalism: "FUNKY CHRISTIAN T-SHIRT"

(Social) Cannibalism: "...give her a piece of my mind."

These have to be intentional ;-)

Hannah Lim said...

Woah Jon, i feel like a lit text that's been analyzed silly. And anyway the only intention i had was to alliterate.

And tom, you should come by and show the way to true rebellion, bring on the Nirvana, Acid and all that jazz.

Hannah Lim said...

Oh God, I don't want to imagine what's a Singaporean-govt-induced culture of debauchery would look like.