Monday, December 04, 2006

Oh, Canada! My home and native('s) land!

It was with great reluctance that I read Curtis' card, brought to me by Sue. I'm so glad she's here. It's like a peace of Canada fell out and landed here in Southeast Asia, where it belonged anyway. But I was absolutely stoked to hold the brown envolope, with Curto's signiture postmodern christmas adds - Oh tell me what I miss!

But I was afraid to start reading it. For were I to start, an end to the letter would be in sight. I was tempted to leave the note unread and hold on to the sweet notion that there was a message of love just waiting to be read.

I read it anyway, I was right. Heartfelt honesty and open affection will move me to tears. Especially when penned with such grace and clarity. Why Curtis, I'd say you write like an angel

Only angels move me to tears.


And from Sue - a ring carved by R.K., a First Nation's artist. She brought me a little piece of Canada that was native (even though I am Chinese). I had always wanted a piece of First Nation's jewellry, I just didn't know what would have been appropriate and how to choose Native art items for myself. I see them as sacred almost.

Sue saw the ring and decided that that was so me. I now have a totem Killer Whale wrapped around my finger. It symbolizes a lot of who I am and what I want to be.

But mostly, it reminds me that I am Canadian. Not just by birth, passport or nationality. But for the people who made me who I am today by loving me from the fall of 2003 onwards. I belong to you too.

3 comments:

dyseluxon said...

Oh Hannah!! Your friend's so sweeet!!! You're more Canadian now ehehehee

In response to your previous poll, Yes, I do think cats suffer from post-natal depression. But then again, they seem to constantly suffer from pre-menstraul stress. Always so catty, hah punpunpun
I know hamsters suffer from post-natal depression, they eat their young, nothing could be more proving than that

Anonymous said...

boo. i'm bored. and i'm skulking around your board. hoping to find juciy gossip. and all i find is stuff you've actually already told me. so bizarre. and his name is BELMONT for crying out loud. stop calling him 'the boyfriend". imagine if i called you "belmont's girlfriend". and you called me "the boyfriends friend" and we called belmont's friends cat "the boyfriends' friends' cat". ok i've got a 9am paper tom. good night.

Hannah Lim said...

hahah DQ, Yeah! being a mother must suck. Unless you crave your young after you birth.

And Erwin... you call him my boyfriend too, so i think you would back off and like.. concentrate on your paper.

The two of you are having dinner today, together. hahahahha