Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Home, Truely?

I can't quite decide what to make of JBJ's life, or death, mostly because I never really gave much thought to politics. I'm an LKY supporter for a variety of reasons, but when I saw JBJ's death on the news my heart stopped. Mostly because I mis-read it and thought it was "Singapore's Leader" (I don't know what I'd do if LKY were to go), but also because he's been quite the land mark in Singapore. If anything, to me, he represents an undying love for a nation that has dealt him a heavy hand. A passion for the people who, for the most part, have left him to fight this battle alone. I'd like to love Singapore that way too, but not through politics (obviously).

Anyway, I was very nervous that the Singapore press would demonize him... [[edited :: 0030 hrs]]

Rest in peace Mr Jayaretnam - I never had a chance to vote, and it probably would never have gone to you, but you will be missed. Not just by me but by the entire nation. And while you never won the votes, I think that in a way you have won our hearts.

I did speak with you once, I believe, outside the ICA. I think I was in the middle of figuring out my Citizenship status. Looking back, I note the irony.

No comments: