Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ok. I've had it. I'm not the biggest authority on politics and world events (I did think Kofi Annan was Samuel L Jackson and still can't quite tell you what NATO is), but here's my two cents.

I mean free speach is great and all, especially in this time of election fever. But when it's reduced to unqualified name-calling it has no value and is dangerous. I say this particularly because I am within the context of the university where, you would expect, individuals to be a little more educated and well thought-out.

You can't call Bush a moron and expect us to take it. Being in Vancouver does not mean that you need not back up baseless arguements that seem to regurgitate mainstream discourse. You can't just sit around and poke fun at Palin and what have you not if you're not going to tell me WHY they're bad ideas. Being conservative is not enough. Maybe it's because I grew up in a one-party state, but I find it terribly elementary to pidgeon hole everything with shallow labels.

But that's all besides the point. Kick me for not having a sense of humour, but I think poking fun at minority political views is tantamout to ideological discrimination. If someone can't spell out their political views without fearing a negative reaction, then we've lost sight of what it means to be a democracy. You're supposed to engage goddammit, not senselessly intimidate each other with what's politically popular.

Of course, my feathers ruffle when my friend tells me that he loves McCain and what America stands for, and that he lingers on the otherside of the Huntington fence as I do. But give him a chance to explain why, and it makes sense. Not to say that I agree with him, but I would not take him to be a fool, and, I learn.

So what I see now, is a politically-illiterate mass, thinking that they know what it means to have a democracy since they can arrogantly belittle the views of others when they themselves have not put much thought into their own. If political ideology were like skin colour, things would be a little different.

I'd like to think, that if one really has thought through their stand on things, they'd respect another's opinion, because they would know what it takes to come to a personal conclusion. And from respect comes engagement, didectic discourse and a richer, more substantial democracy.

In my disgruntled state, I'm feel like this society is a farce. Give me Singapore's one party state anytime.

3 comments:

Jarrett said...

Aw, you're so sweet. As always.

I'm not sure the number of parties in a state matters. People can be ignorant and stupid in a unipartisan state just as they can in a multiparty state. And people can have issues with expressing their views in any as well.

Hannah Lim said...

At least I don't have to put up with one thing more.

Hannah Lim said...

Btw, I was watching Keith Olberman talk about witchcraft. I was rolling my eyes. My great grandmother....