Tuesday, December 09, 2008

It's no secret that I wrinkle my nose at the idea of Human Rights. But that doesn't mean that I don't respect the underlying spirit of the cause. I am reactionary and jealously guard against notions of alienating change and externally-inspired mutation, and when the Universal Declarations of Human rights was drafted when most of the world wasn't present, that poses a problem to me.

Now that doesn't mean that I'm all up for Female Circumcision/FGC (I hesitate to use the term FGM because I think it is a biased account on the situation), or stoning or other terrible terrible things that happen. But lets not get extreme here, in either direction. Recognize an inadequate stop gap measure as an inadequate stop gap measure. Acknowledge its propensity to wreck other forms of violence upon the community.

I've grown to believe that in the light of genocide and torture, cultural integrity should give way. But I am frequently reminded that there were moments when I didn't think this way - because to some people, there are somet hings worth dying for and I should not be speaking for them. Yes, to some people, life isn't the ultimate gift, but rather, is but a means for something other.

But anyway, I'm just cautioning against one-dimensional blanket approaches toward 'Human Rights' issues - blankets suffocate. And while I am not about to be indignantly waving around a piece of text that has supposed to reach some nebulous idea of Jus Cogen, I would be quick to moarn death and pain - indescriminately; becuase life does not discriminate. A bullet in one's head isn't text, and neither is hunger.

So here we are, with our limitations, our biases, fears and hidden agendas. Some glaring and some hidden even to our secret hearts. We want to see goodness realized, but not just any goodness - it has to be OUR goodness. So lets take our crude, hand-hewn tools and go forward humbly, knowing that in our weakness, we still sow evil in our attempts to heal. Maybe that way we can turn to each other for forgiveness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my blanket's name is brownie and i love her to bits! -glad

Hannah Lim said...

Gladys, I love you so much I could Suffocate you.

glen said...

First, I must mention that there's this wonderful invention called spellcheck.
Second, yes. So many of your posts speak of ideas that anthropologists take as givens, which is why you should switch disciplines (or revolutionize yours). It's FGC (Female Genital Cutting), and the term FGM (Mutilation) is more than "biased" but really gets at the core of what you're trying to say. And it's not just about mentioning the multitude of bodily "mutilations" that take place unquestioned in the West. It concerns this sense of moral authority that you raise. And the so-called third world recognizes it too. There are some interesting cases of people lying to Amnesty Int'l about cases of FGC/M in order to gain support and refugee status. I agree with you.

Hannah Lim said...

Legal anthropology has already been done. I just want to spread love in this world