Monday, April 12, 2004

I'm here at UBC, as a full time student. But the strange thing is I've pretty much forgotten what it's like to study. After going through 12 years in Singapore, Canada's like an extended holiday. And just today, I studied for 5 hours. A record yet here in UBC. First in the caf, next to a window with the sun on my back. Sweating in the 17 degree heat indoors, walled up with books, files, papers and yes, my pencil case (what would I do without it?).

Then we moved to the shurm lounge, sinking into comfortable intensity. Shaking it every once in a while with a restless chair or a shy paperbag. The piano, the snacks and the mental workout. Consolidated thoughts painted in crayola markers across virgin sheets. 5 hours of the good life.

"When my mind is free,
no melody can move me"


Sun, sheets, study


Give the beat boys, and free my soul. I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away.
Mmmmm... life as I know it now, is ideal.
I'm tired, I'm weary. I'm fearful, insecure and scared. I want to go home.

But to soak in the sun, in a worry-free, intellectually stimulating environment with edifying people.
This is life.

Thanks for the joy you've given me

Drift away ~ Otis Redding

No comments: