Saturday, June 17, 2006

Went to imperial palace and flew a kite that was stolen by some boys. Traded it for their pet lizard to free. Watching world cup.

The most amazing moments always come when you least expect them. My kite for their lizard. I have to say, I'm a pretty darn good kite flyer, I manipulate wind. Then a group of unruly 8 year olds appeared and physically removed the kite from my hands.

Oh well. What to do. Different land, different culture, different mode of existance. Who am I to moralize? But the lizard, poor thing. Tied together with string and kicked around like a soccer ball. It's tail broken and sides heaving. I delicately removed the string and Thi loped it gently onto the grassy wall of the citidel. Another magic moment.

And before that, we cycled 3 km out of the way in the blazing sun. I was grumpy. "I don't give a shit about what we see here." And Thi was patient. I love how we turn the bad times into ammo for laughter.

on train to hanoi. Really comfy beds. Met cool local who works in NGO sleeping in same cabin. Want to work with him in vietnam.

So we talked about rice and the futures market for farmers, tariffs and democracy. I love it when God drops little things like that onto my lap. A slight teaser as if to say "guess what you're doing in the future!" The trip ended with a little invitation to apply for their internship. Maybe yes maybe no.

The ride was beautiful. watching the countryside roll by while talking to Thi seems to be a main motif on our trip. And in the middle of the night I wake to find Thi gently covering me with his extra blanket for fear of me being cold. And only becuase he was cold. He was on the top bunk.

Don't really like Hanoi. Heard HCMC is worse. But can shop here. Thi leaving tmr. V Sad. Best 3 weeks of my life. Learnt alot.

And after this not much happens. that day was the day Thi got most mad at me I think. The heat and my flaccid attitude didn't go well with Thi's eagerness to cheer me up. We also had a long talk sorting out the issues we faced on this trip and found that truth and love needed to be backed by strength and honor. All that and the internal reassurance of friendship allows for hurdles to be bounded.

I feel invincible. And the only one with the keys to my destruction is myself.

And today I meet shu and glad and fong. Hang out all day and talked about the church. Tomorrow we go to halong bay and sit on a boat.

Thi, my dream of being in a boat is finally realised! You should be here too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hannahhhhhhh!!

Thanks for the great adventure. Its been a blast, really couldn't have asked for more.

Can't seem to get random snippets of thoughts outta my head : 'I have tanned legs...BUT you still have a double chin'; 'OK, Lucky RO, One Dol-lah'; 'You tell me how we're gonna sit on the truck, HOW?'...and many many more.

We'll see what the future holds, sister.

Jabba Jabba
=)