Thursday, December 14, 2006

I received a letter in the mail to go to a talk on Postmodernity, or something rather, with the TAGS family. And then another invitation for dinner with the family.

Well, I don't quite know where all this fits into my life now. I really appreciate my time with them, and what they have done for me. I think I will always have problems reconciling art in my life. Walking around Chinatown with Belmont, I realised that I had developed a sudden aversion toward the local arts scene. I remember watching TV with my mother when the commerical for some 'get-with-the-arts-scene' show came on. It featured a distasteful metro guy (quite repulsive actually) swearing that he's here to ensure we never waste money on trash music and a couple of puppets touted to be the toughest critics on the arts scene here in Singapore.

I cannot say that I have had an easier time with the arts in Canada. I was bowled over by their resource management and professionalism, but still felt that something was missing. I just think that with materialism being the ontology of our goddamn-everything, we'd be hardpressed to find art as true expression, seperate from the spirit of consumption.

When I think of the arts scene here in Singapore, I think of Salsa lessons, impeccable sundresses, wine and candles and starlight. And as I answered four years ago to Andrea's question: One word to describe our arts scene? Bourgeois.

But with regards to the TAGS dinner, I think I ought to go. It would be good, and at the end of the day, I'd really only avoid it to avoid Dennis. And that ought not be an issue.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hannah, I saw a play yesterday that used some well hinged planks of wooden props as floors/beds, as a ship, as a wagon and as a camel, and they just kept on turning it into things, I wonder if that would give you good resource management impression?? LOL

It was pretty impressive even though they didn't use so many fancy things or lighting or sound stuff...

Hannah Lim said...

Hahah Hi Karen,

yeah you're another theatre junkie aren't you? Well yeah theatre in Canada is also really cool. I wonder if it's the accents too.