Thursday, March 04, 2004

Today I met up with the Burnhams, family friends from Calgary days now currently residing in Salmon Arm (I have to figure out how they name places here). I wondered for a split second in their car what it would be like if I were caucasian.

No way.

I thought that it wouldn't make a difference. After all, I was born here, rasied in western coutries in my infant - toddler years. Heck, my best friend in my formative teenage years was white. Even in singapre, I had some residue of a Canadian accent.

So I envisioned peering out of blue-pupiled eyes from beneath blonde lashes.

The immense discomfort made me realise that the difference between us isn't just DNA

We are not the same

We are equal but not identical.

It's not just in our blood,
it's in our heart, soul, and mind (in biblical terms, every bitty thing we are.)

It's in the decisions we make, the reactions that betray, the inclinations we tend towards, the ideologies we breathe by, the beat in our step, the tilt of our postures, the path of our eyes and the insticts that rise from within.

All in that one pool of humanity.
Niceness

So, now I know. It goes much deeper then I anticipated, or can comprehend.
But it's NOT a problem to be eradicated. It's a beauty to relish.

Rice

Oh my wonderful daddy came on monday. We ate alot.
He bought me 2 kg worth of rice. Cos i said that I don't have any anymore.
Ahhh. true love.
Amazing. I love my family.

No comments: